Friday, June 15, 2007

Friday afternoon

After the Coors tour, we moved on to the Colorado Railroad Museum down the road. There was an HO layout running, along with historical displays and models in the exhibit building. Outdoors there were what seemed to be a hundred engines and cars. There is an active roundhouse repair shed with a turntable for refurbishing the display equipment. In this picture is one of the original inclined railroad engines from Pikes Peak (now modern diesel units are used).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have the kids ever seen an active roundhouse before? I do not recall ever having seen one, close-up or inside it, myself. Even the R.R. museum near here does not have one.

I wonder when dPike's Peak switched over to modern diesels. I remember seeing pictures of the unique-looking incline engines before, so I guess I still thought they, or some similar successors, may still have been active.

----D.W.